Friday, April 24, 2009

Lessons God has been/ is teaching me while in Taiwan

It is impossible to completely and adequately express this in written words. We'll see how close I can get..
First off God taught me, by way of removing me from people to whom I'd "anchored", to only anchor on him. Other people can't hold me up forever. God can. This has probably been the hardest lesson I have learned and I have to keep relearning it unfortunately.
Another thing God keeps reinforcing is to trust daily. Some Mondays I wake up and realize that I have zero experience, zero knowledge whatsoever about teaching English and here I am responsible for 172 kids English speaking abilities. Add to this moments where MY English appears challenged. For example, last week I spelled Caterpillar wrong on 29 first grade projects. whoops. Apparently, just because I say a word one way does not mean it is spelled the way I say it. And naturally our homemade Sowash words do not translate. Amazingly enough these days that start out seeming impossible always turn into the best classes of the week when I pray out loud, " God this day is in your hands and I really am going to need help." It's great because when I pray that I really believe it. I still feel incompetent or tired maybe but I know God is going to do something and that really the worst that can happen is that first grade spells caterpillar "Catapillar". They'll survive. Thanks for reading! More lessons when I learn them.

1 comment:

  1. What "Sowash words" are you teaching these kids? I can only imagine!

    ReplyDelete